Draft GPUS Platform Amendment Environmental Justice
Section title: Environmental Justice
Section subtitle: A safe environment for all.
Our position: Greens believe that people should not be poisoned nor subjected to specially large doses of toxic chemicals.
Low-income citizens and minorities suffer disproportionately from environmental hazards in the workplace, at home, and in their communities. Inadequate laws, lax enforcement of existing environmental regulations, and weak penalties for infractions undermine environmental protection.
1. Devoting greater efforts to full enforcement and prosecution of environmental crimes.
2. Funding environmental crime units for district attorneys in counties with significant pollution problems.
3. Imposing a moratorium on siting new toxic chemical or waste facilities in those counties with the highest percentage exposure to hazardous substances.
4. Not forcing workers to choose between a hazardous job or no job at all.
5. Preventing communities, especially low-income or minority communities, from being coerced by governmental agencies or corporations into siting hazardous materials, or accepting environmentally hazardous practices in order to create jobs. \
6. Preceding the siting of hazardous materials or practices with public hearings, conducted in the language of those community members who will be directly affected.